Call for Manuscripts: May 15, 2018 through July 15, 2018.
The winning volume will be published in December 2018 by Emrys Press.
The Emrys Press Chapbook Prize honors a book of original poetry in English by a single author; translations are not eligible. The winning poet will receive a $1000 honorarium upon publication plus 20 copies of the book. In addition, he/she will be invited as guest for one week to the Rensing Center, a gorgeous arts/writing retreat near Greenville SC, in the Appalachian foothills. * The winning book and author will be featured on the Emrys website.
- The final judge for the competition will be Heather McHugh.
- Entries must be filed between 12:01 a.m. May 15 and midnight Jul 15, 2018. Only online submissions are accepted. All entries should be made via Submittable.
- Manuscripts should be 24 to 28 pages in length, single side, submitted in PDF, RTF, or MSWord formats only. Title and contents pages DO NOT count towards page length.
- The author’s name must not appear in the manuscript. Do NOT put your name on the entry. The title page should contain the title only. Author contact information is to be collected separately via Submittable.
- Include a contents page. Do not include your name, acknowledgments, author bio, or any other identifying information in the manuscript file. Manuscripts will be read anonymously.
- Work must not have been previously published as part of a book or as a self-published chapbook. Individually published poems are acceptable. Simultaneous submissions acceptable with notification.
- The entry fee of $25.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- The winner will be announced by Nov 30, 2018.
*Note: Transportation to/from the Rensing Center not included.
Eligibility: Poets writing in English are eligible. Previous book publication is not a consideration. Students, former students, and close friends of Heather McHugh may not enter.
About Emrys Press
Now in its 14th year of publishing bright, original, and sometimes edgy fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry, Emrys Press held its second poetry chapbook competition in 2017. From over three hundred entries, Amanda and the Man Soul by Mary B. Moore of Huntington, WV, was selected winner by Dorianne Laux. The poems are spectacular, the book design beautiful, copies now available at $14.00. Building on this success, we will open the Submittable doors for our third annual poetry competition in May, 2018, to be judged by poet Heather McHugh. We anticipate adding fiction and essay contests in the future. Please follow us on Facebook and other social media, in magazines and journals, and watch for new opportunities to publish with us. If you are a writer looking for a home, think of Emrys Press. The Emrys Journal takes submissions of poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction from August to November 1st. You can find many worthy older publications in the Emrys Press BOOKSTORE.
2017 Emrys Press Chapbook Winner - Mary B. Moore, Amanda and the Man Soul
2016 Emrys Press Chapbook Winner - Sarah Stickney, Portico